Monday, July 28, 2014

Merfolk, with Lots of Scales

I participated in a Merfolk altered art swap with RetroCafeArt.  I had a lot of fun creating my own king and queen of the crafty sea.  I knew I wanted them to have scales on the bottom, so I searched until I found just the right stamp for the job (which also happens to be one of my favorite 100 Proof Press Stamps).  I stamped, colored and cut out the lockets from this stamp too many times to count! I painted the bodies, and did a little stamping on them.  I found some extra molded faces on my table, and they worked out pretty well for the heads.  It was a fun project and I look forward to my next art swap!

Thursday, June 12, 2014

June Stamped Calendar Page

This my June calendar page.  So yay, I only have a few more months to go before it is all filled up!
I have been wanting to use the masked lady  for a long time, but I didn't really know how.  I actually think if I had this June page to do over again, I would have made the circles in the background a bit bolder.  But hey, I got my June page done!  Seems to be all I can keep up with right now!  I'm on the lookout for summer art swaps - those are always fun.  Happy June!

Friday, May 16, 2014

The Jewel Box Ballerinas - turned Art Dolls

My May baby had a birthday yesterday - and I bought her one of her favorite books, The Jewel Box Ballerinas. I decided to get crafty with it, and make her the two little girls from the story - Miranda and Mathilda.  I had a friend who suggested I sculpt the head for the girls, but after playing around with some clay I knew that wasn't going to happen!  So I stuck with what I kind of know - fabric.  I constructed the dolls OK, it was their dresses that gave me a headache!  And I had to make TWO!
I have a few more characters from other books in mind to make, we'll see if I ever get around to it!

Monday, May 5, 2014

May Calendar Post

Woo hoo!  I actually had the May calendar page before it was May!  This is seriously shocking news. So here it is. Again, not how I wanted it too look, but this is how it turned out.  I think I wanted something bolder.  I just can't get away from the style of painting the page with white paint and stamping on that as the background.
I love the quote and the wings, I guess they work together... 

I originally stopped before I painted the pink burst around the whole thing, but I think it needed more color.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April Showers...

bring umbrella inspired artwork!

Kids had a planned 2- hour delay, and I thought I'd hire my 6 year old to record me doing a simple technique on how I made the the umbrellas.  Really cute narration, but he only filmed the table.  Oh well.  I'll take some stills and make something up, I have had this idea for awhile, it's nothing complicated - I think sometimes it's nice to see simple techniques.
First I painted the paper with white and then used black and green stazon.  I did make the umbrellas on a separate piece of paper and then cut them out.  Stamps I used: the three of us, flower row, clouds, black umbrella, umbrella with handle.

Monday, February 3, 2014

What did that last post say?

October?  Well NOW it's February, and I really did create three calendar pages since then!  But who knows where those photos are.   I'm here to share my February calendar page and introduce a fun new stamp set!!!  I love it!!!
These are all 100 Proof Press Stamps.  I love the winged crown.  I also made a Mother Teresa quote into a stamp, because I love it  "do small things with great love."  I'm going to stamp it everywhere.  But the other stamps are from a new set we offer - Perfect for art journaling.

I AM going to try to get working in my art journal more.  

Friday, October 4, 2013

Ok, it's October already..

Hmm... I wonder why the 100 Proof Press newsletter is going out late this month... I'll tell you why.  I set that calendar goal - have one calendar page to show in the newsletter each month.  And let's just say September ended with some craziness.  But here's to a great October!  My daughter has been drawn to Frida Kahlo's art work and life for a few years now - so I think we are going to attempt to celebrate the Day of the Dead this year.  So I'm using that holiday (and a sweet new stamp we make) as the inspiration for the month of November.  Here's my November calendar page - very collage like and scrappy.
I suppose now I have to snap into action and write that newsletter.  Oh, and collect some books about the Day of the Dead- seeing as how I don't really  know how it's celebrated...
(I created the background with 3 colors of blue aquarelles, and thenI used the sketch for the background, some star clusters, Beauty & Love stamp (on twill tape THAT WOULD NOT LAY FLAT!) and the new lady sugar skull.  The birds are cut outs from Retro Art Cafe.)